Sharing is Caring

Sunday, June 23, 2013

What Brazilian Jiu-jitsu means to me - By Mathew Liebovitz


Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Vista, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Escondido
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training in Oceanside


            To me Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is more than a hobby, its more than a sport; it’s a way of life, a true martial art. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a constant challenge that I present to myself on a daily basis; it’s the challenge to eat healthy foods, to keep my mind sharp, and to keep my lifestyle clean. The challenge from Brazilian Jiu-jitsu comes from within; the true source of the challenge is not external.
Self Defense Oceanside, Martial Arts Oceanside
BJJ Oceanside, Ca
For me, I do not compete with my training partners, but with myself, to be the best grappler that I can be, the hardest worker that I can be, the best version of myself in the moment, in every moment that I can be. In Brazilian Jiu-jitsu one cannot hide from themselves, from the reality of who they are, as ones true self comes out on the mat. Those who cannot be constantly humbled never seem to make it, but those who are secure with themselves spend a lifetime perfecting the art.
Excel Jiu Jitsu, BJJ tournaments, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions
Mat with Michio Grubbs and Corey Bennin
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu has given me more than I can ever give back to it. It gives me the confidence to reach my goals in life, and the ability to protect my family without any pretense. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu has also given me the confidence to reach all of my goals in life, to live what I believed once were just far away dreams. What does Brazilian Jiu-jitsu mean to me? It means everything.
 

By Mathew Liebovitz

No comments: