Sharing is Caring

Thursday, February 12, 2009

training Feb 8-15

Greg took Ben and me, indoor rock climbing on Saturday! Greg has been doing it since 2001 and has a lot of experience. His knowledge and patience were outstanding! He has many cool stories to share. Talk about Great Cross-Training for Jiu-Jitsu...my fingers, hands, and forearms were on fire! We finished up with Boulder Climbing and my breathing and heart rate were racing!


I'm working on overcoming my fear of heights and falling!!! but watching Ben, also with Greg coaching and encouraging me along I was able to do a lot more than I thought I would!






Ben looked like Spider-man climbing the rock! He caught on very quick and he's definitely a natural. Very fluid and fast. We all had fun and will be doing it again very soon!






Of course, Greg was on top of it all, with all his experience and his coaching expertise! He guided Ben and me to the top! THANKS GREG!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!

This week, we are working from the bottom and top of the turtle position and tournament strategy. More mat time, and some isolated and positional drills. Make sure you guys keep up with your strength and conditioning outside of class. Pan Ams are about 6 weeks away!

Sundays' training was awesome! It was Conor, Andy, Jesse, Ray, and myself and we rolled the whole class and we were beat up afterwards! Great way to spend a Sunday!

I LOVE JIU JITSU!!!


-Michio






10 comments:

madmax said...

Tonight I learned something for sure! I cant wait to work on some stuff tomorrow! Ben and Andrew!crazy! i love the energy ben brings!cant wait to see how this week unfolds...see you guys OnTheMat....MADMAX

Unknown said...

>< hope you're feeling better, dude!


Great night, got a lot of feedback from Eric and Ben. Lotta fun rolling.

By the way, if you guys have saturday night off, you're all invited to come to Solid Rock Gym in San Marcos for some indoor rock climbing! Its super fun, great strength training, and a blast. If you've never climbed before, you are REALLY missing out!

If you're interested, its about 15-20 bucks, I'll bring some of my own gear so some of you can save the rental cost. its located off of Woodland and Barham in San marcos off the 78. If you guys are interested, let me know! i used to work there and can probably get a good deal if i bring a group. go ahead and gimme a call, 840-0765, or ill see you there at 6pm this saturday!

992 Rancheros Drive
San Marcos 92069
@6pm!

EXCEL Jiu Jitsu said...

I love watching Andrew and Ben go at it! You're right Max, those guys are incredible.

Greg, what about guys that are scared of heights (like me)?
can we still climb?

-Michio

Unknown said...

Of course! Its about 25 feet high, and the ropes are rated to 22kN, which is ~3300 pounds impact force. So yes, its super safe. A lot safer than jitsu... haha!

EXCEL Jiu Jitsu said...

Cool! Looking forward to it man. Don't eat too close to the session right???

-Michio

Unknown said...

aha you should be OK. Wear something comfortable,its not super strenuous, and bring some electrolites or water. wahoO!

cgrant said...

WOW !! looks like alot of fun ! Greg
I would love to tag along next time.

Unknown said...

Man those were some tough dudes! Lot of fun, its always a blast sharing the experience. Ben took to it really well, he has great natural movement. Michio improved drastically in an hour... fast learners make better athletes! Haha. Great fun, I'll let everyone know the next time i head out on a saturday (we got plans this next saturday, woot!).b

Anonymous said...

Last Sunday's training was definetely great, it's always awesome rolling with Jesse. That rock climbing looks awesome, I bet it's great for your core and grip strength.

I'll definetely be training later on in the week. I got a cold last week though, and I'm still feeling pretty sick. I'm probably going to wait a few more days before I head back in. I'm bummed too, I was just trying to come up with some new ways to setup kimuras from the inverted guard when I got sick!

EXCEL Jiu Jitsu said...

Conor! I think the cold thing went around! Well, hurry and get better bro! we need you back into training! Lots of tourneys coming up!

-Michio