Sharing is Caring

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Scientific Art by Ezekiel "Zeke" Fernando





“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way to its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” -Ludwig Van Beethoven
BJJ In San Diego, BJJ in Oceanside, BJJ in Carlsbad, BJJ in Vista, BJJ in Escondido, BJJ in San Marcos
Oceanside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a martial arts system that focuses on the ground fighting range.  A Japanese Judoka and Jiujitsuka named Mitsuyo Maeda emigrated from Japan to live in Brazil. Maeda taught the Gracie family Japanese Judo/ Jiu-Jitsu.  Using the concepts and techniques Mitsuyo Maeda taught the Gracie family, the Gracie family developed their own system of ground fighting called Brazilian jiu-jitsu. In the 1990’s the Gracie family promoted the effectiveness of their ground fighting system through a competition called the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Due to the success of the Gracie family in the early days of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, it became clear that the Gracie family had developed the premier ground fighting system.
Since I have started training in martial arts, I have learned many things about myself that I would not have discovered, through any other modality. I have learned that it is better to avoid situations where I cannot obtain my goals. I have also learned that since I live in a dynamic environment, I cannot remain stationary, I must adapt to the selection pressures in my environment to become a better Brazilian Jiu-jitsu player, a better martial artist, and a better person.
BJJ In San Diego, BJJ in Oceanside, BJJ in Carlsbad, BJJ in Vista, BJJ in Escondido, BJJ in San Marcos
Excel Jiu Jitsu!
When I step onto the mat, I remind myself that I am placing myself in to environment of learning; My own scientific laboratory, where I can test concepts and techniques to form my grappling game. Currently, my hypotheses are: Do I have the skills necessary to survive in an inferior position? Also do I have the skills necessary to impose my will, to achieve the goal of either improving my position or obtaining a submission?  I am not always successful in achieving desired results from my hypotheses, but the results from each experiment gives me a system of techniques that I know works for me as well as actions that do not work.  It is the crucible of training that helps us to adapt to the selection pressures of the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu mat.
As human beings, we are all unique but we have the same fundamental anatomical structures that can be exploited in order to improve our position or obtain submissions. I also have learned that we each have a distinct body composition and ways of moving our bodies. No two people are exactly alike. This means that each of us will have our own method of grappling that would be uniquely suited for us. We each have to discover our own grappling game.
            Practicing Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is not only a martial science but also an art, a means of uniquely expressing oneself through the modality of combat. Simply, the art of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is to use leverage instead of brute force to improve position or attain a submission. Through this medium of combative moving mediation, we learn to truly live in the moment as our actions could result in dislocated bone structures, unconsciousness or even death.  We learn to protect ourselves and our training partners from potential injury by always being mindful of the situations that we are in. When we improve ourselves, we improve the group’s ability to become better.
BJJ In San Diego, BJJ in Oceanside, BJJ in Carlsbad, BJJ in Vista, BJJ in Escondido, BJJ in San Marcos
Zeke training hard!
If you are considering training in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, I wholeheartedly endorse training with the Excel Jiu-jitsu team. Each Brazilian Jiu-jitsu professor at Excel Jiu-jitsu is completely devoted to improving the grappling game of each team member. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Professors facilitate a constructively competitive environment that is conducive to learning Brazilian Jiu-jitsu regardless of your background or learning style. The training philosophy is that as I better myself in the practice of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, I am able to positively contribute to the group’s understanding of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, thereby improving my own game. It is like a friendly arms race with the aim of improving our Brazilian Jiu-jitsu games.  So come in and try a class. I am confident that you will not be disappointed. Excel past every limit! 

-ZEKE


No comments: